Often people seem to misunderstand between the difference of kayaking and canoeing. Sometimes we used to realize that these two things are all the same. Although there is a simple difference being existed between these two form of workouts.
Kayaking refers the form of workout when a person sits on a kayak and moves through the water. It’s distinguish from the canoeing by the sitting position of the paddler and the number of existing blades in the paddle. It’s more likely driving the canoe. Kayaks are numerous in kinds, where the designs and materials make the differences. Many kinds of material are used for making kayaks. Such as-
- Carbon fiber
- PVC or rubber
- Metals etc.
According to the design and materials there are few facts vary in kayaking. These are likely-
- Performance of kayaking
As a beginner, you should not try yourself. First, you can learn kayaking from an instructor. With the help of a skilledinstructor, you can easily learn the techniques and skills. Most importantly, you must know the safety measures before you take kayaking drive. Keep some safety device like floatation device, Spray skirts etc. Floatation device will float you even in calm water. Spray skirts is used to cover the cockpit. When you kayak in rocky water, you must put on helmet. There are also some steps to take for your safety.
- Weather condition influence the safety measures and dress. If you are in cold water, a dry suit will keep you warm. In hot temperature, you can wear full sleeves shirt to protect sunshine.
- Keep track on wind. Sometimes shore wind deters to return to shore
- Do not keep excessive weight of things on the boat. Otherwise, it may sink in the water.
- Before starting kayak, tell someone about your projected rout, time, plan, and time return. In addition, try not changing your plan.
- Keep some food and water with you for the emergency.
In the first try, keep an instructor with you during kayaking. After adopting all the skills, you can try yourself.
Calories burned by kayaking
By conducting several studies in the yesteryears, it is found that a person can burn good amount of calories from the kayaking. If you find running and jogging boring for the time being, then you can definitely switch to this form of workout without any confusion. But, before switching to this form of workout make sure that you are capable of performing kayaking.
According to the research a person weighing 125lb of weight can burn about 150 calories during 30 minutes of workouts.
Intensity of calorie burning
Whenever we want to lose weight or burn calories, we want to make it out as fast as possible. But sometimes the initiative becomes slower than it was expected to be. It’s the simple nature of workout. You can’t never overcome this limitation while performing different kinds of workouts. Kayaking is such a kind of workout, which will burn your calories in moderately intense speed.
By performing a longer trip of kayaking you can burn about 1000 calories though, but it will work slower. You shouldn’t expect the similar intensity of calorie burning like running at high speed in case of kayaking.
Health benefits of kayaking
Individuals can be benefitted in various ways by performing kayaking accordingly. In addition to a kind of entertaining trip, kayaking is also considered as a good form of exercises for different health related issues.
I can write down hundreds of health benefits, which could be attained by performing kayaking. But it will not help you choose for the right reason. The major and common health benefits of kayaking are-
- No matter how long you are performing, if you can do it in relatively high speed. Then it will promote your aerobics fitness.
- Kayaking will help you to stay away from all kinds of cardiovascular diseases and joint pain diseases
- It can be a great way to strengthen the muscle of different parts of the body. Especially the arms, shoulders and the back part of the body will be significantly strengthen for performing kayaking on regular basis
- It will help you to enjoy the sightseeing alongside the workouts.
You must be very careful about hypothermia, if you are sea kayakers. Because cold water can kill you. You have to ware appropriate suit for this. You are waring dress for water temperature not for air temperature.
Make sure you have some safety equipment. In addition, please keep your safety equipment in a water prove bag for keeping them dry. If you are planning to go alone than inform your family and friends. Give your plan details when you are going, when you will return etc. Because every year many people get lost. Continuously check weather update. Always try to stay safe and enjoy your workouts.