People with excess obesity lives in danger of various health complexities, sometimes these complexities become life threatening for them. In this terrible situation only dieting or exercise does not work properly. Excessive obesity hinders the normal lifestyle. Obese People are sometimes being proved as unfit to work at home and outside. So it becomes a huge problem for earning livelihood as well.
That awfully unfavorable situation sometimes necessitates taking big decision. No matter how complex or difficult the process is, people will try hard to get rid of this curse.
Bariatric surgery is one of the complex ways to get rid of the obesity problem. After failing on various approaches, bariatric surgery is the one last solution of this problem. Weight loss surgery or bariatric surgery is considered as a sort of magic solution, which can make your life comfortable and enjoyable. Bariatric surgery helps to reduce 30%-50% of body weight within a very short span of time.
But taking this decision is not that easy. It needs a commitment and determination to change the lifestyle for the rest of the time you live after this surgery. You can’t eat as much as you eat before the surgery. You have to follow a proper diet and exercise schedule alongside. Otherwise all the effort to lose weight will go in vain.
Bariatric surgery refers a complex surgery that is done on the stomach or intestine by squeezing the stomach with an adjustable band. This band makes the stomach narrower; as a result the patient will feel fuller at stomach after eating a small amount of food. For instance, if a normal stomach holds 6 cups of foods as a standard amount, after bariatric surgery stomach will hold only one cup of food. This restrictive amount of food forces to lose weight. Depending on the patient’s age, sex, health condition etc usually three types of bariatric surgery are conducted. These are likely-
- Adjustable gastric band
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric bypass
As I have already mentioned that it is a complex surgery so you must follow a certain procedure before and after the surgery. Here I am suggesting some dos’ and don’ts before and after the surgery.
Before the surgery
- Stop taking Aspirin, herbal products and heart medication before a week ago of the surgery.
- Patients with diabetes must stop oral medication before 24 hours of the surgery. Ask your doctor about other medication that should be stopped.
- You have to start taking liquid diet before 48 hours of surgery. As a liquid diet, you can take apple juice, white grape juice, coffee or tea with no sugar.
- On the day to surgery you can take prescribed medication with small amount of water.
After the surgery
- When your surgery is done, you must keep moving your body. Sitting idly will not improve your situation. Don’t sit for an hour at a time. Walk 5-10 minutes in each and every hour.
- Try to perform aerobic activities 3-5 times every week for 30 minutes.
- Many patient faces dehydration after surgery for not taking enough water. You must drink a cup of water in every an hour. But don’t drink caffeine and carbonated drink.
- It will not be right to swim till two weeks after the surgery. But you can take regular shower on daily basis.
People having bariatric surgery may have some other health related problems. Some alleges that they feel depress after the surgery. After losing weight excess skin is another problem that needs another corrective surgery.
Yes, there are some side effects of bariatric surgery. But the chances of side effects are not much serious. People may face bleeding, infection on the sewn parts of the intestine, diarrhea etc. It happens only then if you do not follow the prescription of the doctor. It may happen over the lifetime as I have already said that this surgery needs a lifetime commitment. Any negligence can aggravate the problem. You have to follow proper diet and perform physical activities. Stay in touch of doctor if any complications are appeared.
It is said the risk of surgery are far less than the risk of having obesity. It removes the other health related problems. It can make your life longer and enjoyable.